Vertex is currently accepting applications for a project-based Environmental Scientist/Biologist in Sherwood Park, Alberta. The successful candidate must have experience within various industries with a focus on stream assessments for small- and large-scale projects and experience performing fisheries assessments and water quality monitoring during crossings of minor and major rivers across western Canada. We are searching for a highly motivated, dynamic team member, with experience working in the flexible consulting field.
- Diploma and/or Bachelor’s degree in Aquatic Biology, Environmental Science, Biological Science, Fish and Wildlife or another applicable field
- A minimum of two years’ experience within related field
- A registered member with a relevant professional organization (i.e. P.Biol., BIT, R.BIT or R.Biol) and registration as an RPBio or RBTech under College of Applied Biology would be considered an asset
- Working knowledge, understanding of and ability to interpret environmental regulations, guidelines, requirements and standards (i.e. Alberta Water Act and Federal Fisheries Act, Changes in and about a Stream))
- A strong working knowledge of aquatic ecosystems in Western Canada
- Experience completing riverine and lake habitat assessments for pipeline and transmission line projects
- Experience with QAES (Qualified Aquatic Environmental Specialist) and QP (Qualified Professional) assessments, including electrofishing and other sampling methods.
- Experience conducting water quality monitoring and construction monitoring for horizontal directional drilling pipeline crossings, including mitigation and spill response
- Ability to lead, manage, plan and conduct aquatic resource assessments and related work
- Wildlife identification skills considered an asset
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with advanced knowledge of Word and Excel
- Valid driver’s licence with a clean abstract
- Willing to travel within western Canada when required
- Monitor, record and chart dynamic environmental parameters that may impact aquatic ecosystems and/or organisms
- Conduct various assessments up to and including assessments for pipeline, padsite, access roads and transmission line projects
- Conduct water quality monitoring and construction monitoring for trenched and trenchless crossings
- Lead or assist with fish habitat field assessments and mapping for various types of developments including but not limited to upstream and downstream oil and gas; mining; forestry and agriculture
- Fish sampling techniques including, but not limited to electrofishing, seining and minnow trapping
- Demonstrate knowledge of provincial and federal aquatic legislation and regulatory agencies (i.e. Water Sustainability Act, Alberta Wildlife Act, BC Wildlife Act, Species at Risk Act, Fisheries Act, British Columbia Environmental Assessment Act, Alberta Environmental Assessment Act, Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, British Columbia Oil and Gas Commission, National Energy Board, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Transportation Canada, Alberta Energy Regulator and Alberta Environment and Parks)
- Assist in the development of environmental impact assessments, biological monitoring plans, enhanced protection plan and environmental assessments
- Reporting (all types, styles and formats that Vertex produces)
- Field work in remote locations within Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan
- This position will be based out of our Calgary office.
- Compensation is commensurate with education and experience
- A comprehensive benefit package is provided
With a track record of success, Vertex provides a fast-paced environment where people thrive. We recognize that each member brings a valuable skillset to the Vertex team and we make health, safety and community well-being a priority by supporting numerous endeavors at each of our locations across North America.
At Vertex, we value teamwork through collaboration and provide support across the entire organization. If you think you have what it takes to play for the Vertex team, please apply.
*We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for interviews will be contacte