Vertex Professional Services Ltd. is currently accepting applications for part-time permanent Junior Environmental Technician located in the Greater Vancouver (Burnaby area), British Columbia. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of construction monitoring (soil salvage and reclamation) and detailed site assessments (DSAs). The successful candidates will also possess a keen eye for detail, be critical thinkers, and will enjoy working in the field for extended periods of time. Reporting to an Environmental Project Manager, the candidate must be willing to travel, be able to participate in field-based projects for long period of times and take additional responsibilities as the position/project evolves.
- Diploma or higher post-secondary education in Reclamation, Soil Science, Environmental Science, Biological Science, Natural Resource Management, Forestry or another applicable field
- Minimum two (2) years of experience consulting with a focus in oil and gas
- Knowledge of Western Canada soils; experience classifying soils is an asset
- Knowledge conducting field and reporting portions of Phase l, Phase II, and ESA’s
- Understanding of remote area navigation; experience using maps, compass, GPS, and aerial photos for navigation in the field is advantageous
- Demonstrated ability to drive trucks and/or a variety of off-road vehicles in rough terrain
- Working knowledge of and ability to interpret environmental regulations, guidelines and standards
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with advanced knowledge of Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Demonstrated communication and decision-making skills
- Valid Ground Disturbance and Standard First Aid certificates
- H2S Alive certificate a strong asset.
- Geomatics experience/training would be strong asset
- Willingness to gain field experience in remote locations
- Willingness to work in the field for extended periods of time
- Willingness to travel within Western Canada, as required
- Ability to problem solve
- Excellent communication and technical reporting skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Field work is a requirement, approximately 90% or more of time will be allocated to the field
- Soil classification
- Plant identification
- Wildlife identification
- Wetland identification and delineation
- Weed spraying
- Detailed Site Assessments
- Monitor soil conservation and reclamation activities
- Data management (data tables, photographs, inputting field data sheets)
- Other fieldwork as required by Environmental Project Manager
- This position will be based out of Burnaby/Coquitlam, British Columbia with some travel. No relocation package available.
- Compensation is commensurate with education and experience
With a track record of success, Vertex provides a fast-paced environment where people thrive. We recognize that each member brings a valuable skillset to the Vertex team and we make health, safety and community well-being a priority by supporting numerous endeavors at each of our locations across North America.
At Vertex, we value teamwork through collaboration and provide support across the entire organization. If you think you have what it takes to play for the Vertex team, please apply.
*We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for interviews will be contacted*