Vertex is currently accepting applications for one full-time, permanent Senior Metal Building Estimator in Edmonton, Alberta. The successful candidate must have proven proficiency and extensive estimating work experience in self-frame, rigid frame / structural and Pre-Engineered Metal buildings as well as experience with metal cladding/roofing, acoustic building envelopes, HVAC and experience in the oil and gas or other heavy industrial construction industry.
The Buildings Estimator’s primary function is to provide construction project estimating ranging from small to large size projects with self-frame and rigid frame buildings. The ideal candidate will utilize previous experience and formal training to ensure compliance to Vertex’s Safety, Health and Environmental, Quality Control and administrative Management Systems. The Senior Metal Building Estimator will interpret construction bid documents and technical drawings to identify engineering specifications, evaluate and estimate materials, manpower, schedule, and budget.
- Mechanical Engineer or Certified Engineering Technologist (MET/CET) or equivalent
- Minimum of 10 years estimating experience in Industrial work environment
- Knowledge of self-frame; rigid/structural and pre-engineered buildings is required
- Ability to read, interpret and understand construction drawings and documents
- Proficient in the use of applicable job costing software and project scheduling
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word), Capable to use MS Project of other project management software
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment, manage multiple priorities and successfully meet deadlines
- Strong organizational, planning, and detail oriented
- Strong customer service and relationship building skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to work in a team environment
- Review technical specifications; analyzing project scopes; determining materials, project man-hour requirements, review site equipment & facility requirements, and associated costs
- Review RFP’s by downloading and Properly Storing RFP Documents and Confirming Receipt of RFP Requests
- Review RFP’s and identify Scope of Work Documents.
- Performs material “take–offs” and systematically estimates costs by submitting clarification requests to the Client, submitting material discount requests to suppliers, requesting support documentation from (Admin/Safety/Projects), reviewing clarifications, addenda, and revisions to RFQ’s from Clients, and respond to Client RFP addenda and clarifications
- Collaborate with Projects Group while performing material “take-offs” and discuss project works methodologies
- Review estimates to confirm package includes Vertex quote letter(s), labor rates, assigned crew mix, and application of productivity
- Review completed estimates and discuss estimate inputs with Projects Group; answer questions from project team regarding estimate/ project clarifications
- Review completed estimates with Business Development representatives and aid in understanding work packages; assist Business Development representative in following up with Clients
- Ensures construction is consistent with the work projected estimate
- Complete estimate turnovers: prepare estimate turnover documents, assist in answering questions from projects team regarding the estimate and project clarifications, prepare project budgets
- Reviews contracts and interprets cost impacts for the company
- Tracks and records post awards and rejection for continuous improvement
- Assist in document management by filing completed estimate hard copies
- Consults with all levels of Operations on a regular basis from conceptual, preliminary, and final stages to ensure labor, equipment and material reflect current pricing, construction costs and timelines
- Attend regular meetings including Estimate turnover meetings, Estimate weekly status update meetings, and office safety meetings
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- This position is based out of our Edmonton, AB location.
- Compensation is commensurate with education and experience
- A comprehensive benefit package is provided
With a track record of success, Vertex provides a fast-paced environment where people thrive. We recognize that each member brings a valuable skill set to the Vertex team and we make health, safety and community well-being a priority by supporting numerous endeavors at each of our locations across North America.
At Vertex, we value teamwork through collaboration and provide support across the entire organization. If you think you have what it takes to play for the Vertex team, please apply.
*We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for interviews will be contacted*